Reading mode: Light Dark

OK all you experts... my turn for some advice

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 11,559
OK all you experts... my turn for some advice

I think I've said many times here that shooting test charts is a nice start for evaluating gear, but definitely not where the process should end. So, after doing that with my newly acquired 8-16, I decided to go to one of my favorite spots here in Portland, which is the Japanese Garden. This isn't exactly the optimal time of the year to visit, but it does offer a broad range of opportunities for picture taking during various seasons and it's also a great place to shake out new gear and see how well it's operating.

So, in that spirit, I took my X-H1 out along with my new 8-16 and the 16-55. I started with the iconic Japanese Maple that you'll see in virtually any picture of the gardens. Obviously, it's not exactly at its best right now, but since my primary purpose was to give my lens a real world test, it seemed to be a good choice. Some of the results I got were concerning, and I'd sure like to get some feedback from folks to see what you all think. Both images below were fairly lightly processed in LR.

Here's a full res image of that maple taken at 8mm FL.

Here's a different view of the tree taken at 16mm FL.

In both cases, the lower left hand corner of the image seems very soft to me, and I'm seeing that in virtually all of my images. Admittedly, I tend to avoid a lot of pixel peeping and may well be seeing something that isn't really an issue, however, the other corners seem a fair amount sharper, at least to me.

So, how about some feedback from you experts out there? Do I have a duff lens, or do you need some better examples to help me judge that? At $2K a pop, this lens needs to walk on water, and I'm not really sure it's afloat right now. Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow