Reading mode: Light Dark

Star Eater and Pixel Shift test

Started Nov 27, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 3,572
Star Eater and Pixel Shift test

Tonight I had the chance to test the A7rIII with the Loxia 21 mm and Loxia 85 mm lenses at a pretty bright night sky, lit by the half moon. Here are a few pictures from this pretty cold night, about -5 degrees Celsius. Many pictures have to wait, since working with the Sony Viewer and Sony Edit software is very slow. Merging Pixel Shift images was pretty fast, though, and easy! I am really looking forward to open the A7rIII raw files with Lightroom.

The Star Eater is for sure present, but not to such an extent that it would affect aestetical night sky photography, like landscapes with night skies or the Milky Way, or my future Aurora Borealis pictures. For such work, plenty of faint stars wil still be present, and getting rid of the smallest ones would just clean up the sky from what else would look like hot pixels.

Pixel Shift does not bring much extra for astrophoto work, it looks like, and this feature is limited to 30 sec exposures anyway. Note that I took my pictures with the half moon about 45 degrees away from the Pleiades, and under such conditions the night sky doesn't offer much more than blue color.

To compare with and without Pixel Shift, I took four ordinary frames and stacked and merged these to get the same total exposure as for the Pixel Shift exposures. The result? Hard to spot any difference, at least from what this night brought me.

This is not a camera for serious astrophotography, even if I would guess one could get nice pictures of nebulas and other extended astronomical objects. I will push my A7rIII on a dark night without the moon to find out what to expect.

Here are my first A7rIII night sky test pictures:

The Pleiades. 100% crop. A7rIII, 85 mm Loxia f:2.4 at f:4, 4 x 30 sec stacked (ordinary vs Pixel Shift).

The Pleiades and Hyades. 100% crop. A7rIII, 21 mm Loxia f:28 at f:4, with Pixel Shift at 3.2 seconds (no Star Eater) and 4 sec exposure (where the Star Eater should kick in).

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow